KUALA LUMPUR – Malaysian police have foiled an attempt by a terror cell of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) to attack the Saudi Arabia and Qatar embassies in Kuala Lumpur with the arrest of two Iraqi nationals. Sources said the two men were detained by intelligence officials at a shopping mall last Thursday. “They were planning to attack the embassies on March 31 at the behest of IS,” a source told The Star last Saturday, using another name of ISIS. “They threatened two officials from the embassies to meet their demands or suffer the consequences of an attack,” the source added.
Intelligence sources did not disclose what the demands were, but said the threat of an attack on the embassies was still being investigated. The Counter-Terrorism Division had been monitoring the duo since March 10. Another source said that the two suspects were staying at a few places in Selangor and Johor. It is believed that the first suspect, a 39-year-old man, entered Malaysia early last month while the second suspect, aged 42, had overstayed in the country. “Investigations are still under way to track down and identify two other members of the terror cell,” said one source. Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar confirmed the arrest of the two suspects. Kuala Lumpur Criminal Investigation Department chief Zainuddin Ahmad said initial investigations revealed that the suspects had issued the threats to embassy officials. “They even demanded RM6,000 (S$2,200) if the officials wanted more information on the attack,” Senior Assistant Commissioner Zainuddin said when contacted. This is the second time the Saudi embassy had received threats from ISIS. The first time was about two months ago. Thousands of fighters from across the globe, including some from South-east Asia, have flocked to join the militant group which has taken over parts of Iraq and Syria and declared an Islamic caliphate in the middle of last year. THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK –