A fire was deliberately started at the Consulate of Iraq in Manchester city centre in October last year, GMP say
CCTV images have been released of men police want to speak to following an arson attack in the city centre.
Police believe the men could help with their investigation into the blaze at the Consulate of Iraq in October last year.
An accelerant was set alight and thrown against the building, before the offenders fled toward Bridgewater Hall.
Luckily no one was in the government building at the time, ‘as people could have been seriously injured or worse’, police said.
Officers were called to the scene, on Oxford Court, at about 2am on Tuesday, October 17.
An investigation was launched, and detectives identified four men they want to speak to as part of their enquiries.
The images of the men were circulated on a national image database as part of the joint fire and CSI investigation, but that proved unsuccessful.
Det Sgt Rick Anderton of GMP’s City of Manchester team, said: “I’m thankful that no one was inside when this happened, as people could have been seriously injured or worse.
“This happened at one of the busiest junctions in the city and although it was a while ago now, I’d ask anyone who saw something that stood out from the ordinary that night, to contact police.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 0161 856 6065 or 101, quoting incident number 128 of October 17, 2017. Reports can also be made anonymously through Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.