Diplomatic Security Sit-Rep 02/21/2019
Twenty people have been killed in Turkey by security forces’ armoured vehicles in accidental collisions or shooting incidents, pro-Kurdish Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) spokesperson Ayhan Bilgen told the Turkish parliament in a speech on Thursday.
Bilgen’s speech came the day after 32-year-old Sedat Polat was killed in the southeast Turkish province of Şanlıurfa when a police armoured vehicle accidentally opened fire on the bus he was a passenger on as it stopped at a checkpoint.
In the past year around 20 people aged between four and 80 years old have been killed by security forces’ vehicles that have gone out of control and crashed into homes, failed to brake at junctions and crashed into civilians, or when they have opened fire without provocation, Bilgen said.
The deaths in 2018 followed another year with a high incidence of accidental deaths caused by armoured vehicles in 2017.
The Turkish news portal Artı Gerçek reported in June 2017 that 25 people had been killed by armoured vehicles since a state of emergency was called on July 20, 2016, and the majority of the deaths had again been caused in accidents.
The state of emergency was brought in after factions in the Turkish army attempted a coup on July 15, 2016. However, the coup attempt had been preceded by curfews and heavy fighting throughout large parts of Turkey’s predominantly Kurdish southeast, where groups associated with the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) resumed decades of armed conflict with Turkish security forces when a ceasefire broke down in 2015.
10/19/2018 Diplomatic Security Sit-Rep| ANKARA: An individual who claimed to have links to Daesh (ISIS) extremist group threatened to attack the Iranian Embassy in Ankara, Tehran’s envoy in Turkey said Monday, denying Turkish media reports that he had been evacuated.
“The suicide attack against the embassy was only a threat,” Ambassador Mohammad Ebrahim Taherian Fard said. “Nothing significant has happened and things are under control.”
“The threat was made by someone who introduced himself as linked to Daesh,” Fard said, quoted by state news agency IRNA.
Turkish media said Fard had been evacuated but the ambassador and Tehran flatly denied the report as a complete fabrication.
“Such a claim is a sheer lie, and the personnel at our embassy are present at their workplace in full health and security,” the Foreign Ministry said in a statement on its website.
Earlier Monday, DHA news agency said Iran’s mission in the Turkish capital had been given an intelligence warning about a possible suicide bomb attack. The road by the embassy was shut off and police could be seen searching cars in the area, an AFP photographer said.
Ambassador Fard also said Turkish police “intensified security measures” around Tehran’s mission in Ankara in response to the threat.
In 2015 and 2016, Turkey was hit by a series of terror attacks which were blamed on both Kurdish militants and Daesh.
The last attack blamed on Daesh was in January 2017 when a gunman killed 39 people at an elite Istanbul nightclub on New Year.
Diplomatic Security Sit-Rep 10/12/2018
(ISTANBUL) — Turkish media close to the president published images Wednesday of what it described as a 15-member “assassination squad” allegedly sent to target Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, and of a black van later traveling from the Saudi consulate, where he went missing, to the consul’s home.
The release of the photographs and video raises pressure on Saudi Arabia a week after Khashoggi disappeared during a visit to the consulate. Turkish officials fear that the team killed the writer, who was critical of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
The kingdom has called the allegations “baseless,” but has not provided any evidence that Khashoggi left the consulate and did not respond to requests for comment Wednesday.
News channel 24 aired the video, suggesting that Khashoggi was inside of the black Mercedes Vito, which resembled one parked outside of the consulate when the writer walked in on Oct. 2. The channel said the van then drove some 1.2 miles to the consul’s home, where it parked inside a garage.
The Sabah newspaper, which is similarly close to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, published images of what it referred to as the “assassination squad” apparently taken at passport control. It said they checked into two hotels in Istanbul on Oct. 2 and left later that day.
Khashoggi had written a series of columns for the Washington Post that were critical of Saudi Arabia’s assertive Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who has led a widely publicized drive to reform the Sunni monarchy but has also presided over the arrests of activists and businessmen.
On Wednesday, the Post published a column by Khashoggi’s fiancée, Hatice Cengiz. She acknowledged the writer first visited the consulate on Sept. 28 “despite being somewhat concerned that he could be in danger.” He later returned Oct. 2 after being promised needed paperwork so the two could be married.
A surveillance video image surfaced Tuesday showing Khashoggi walking into the consulate in Istanbul’s upscale 4th Levent neighborhood. No evidence of him leaving the consulate has been made public, but Turkish officials also have yet to provide evidence he was kidnapped or killed.
“At this time, I implore President Trump and first lady Melania Trump to help shed light on Jamal’s disappearance,” Cengiz wrote. “I also urge Saudi Arabia, especially King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, to show the same level of sensitivity and release CCTV footage from the consulate.”
She added: “Although this incident could potentially fuel a political crisis between the two nations, let us not lose sight of the human aspect of what happened.”
Khashoggi had sought to become a U.S. citizen after living in self-imposed exile since last year, fearing repercussions for his criticism of the prince, Cengiz wrote.
Trump, who took his first overseas trip as U.S. president to the kingdom and whose son-in-law Jared Kushner has close ties to Prince Mohammed, said Tuesday he had not yet talked to the Saudis about Khashoggi, “but I will be at some point,” without elaborating.
Turkish Foreign Ministry spokesman Hami Aksoy said Tuesday that Saudi authorities have notified Ankara that they were “open to cooperation” and would allow the consulate building to be searched. It’s unclear when such a search would take place.
Embassies and consulates under the Vienna Convention are technically foreign soil and must be protected by host nations. Saudi Arabia may have agreed to the search in order to reassure its Western allies and the international community.
Diplomat Armoured Rentals provides armored vehicles for rent around the world.
We several armoured passenger vehicles available for hire in Ankara, Turkey. We can provide clients with B5 Armoured SUV’s. In Ankara we offer Cadillac Escalades and Lincoln Navigators. These vehicles are can carry up to six passengers and provide protection against AK-47s.
All of our vehicles in Ankara are 2,000 Euro per day. This price includes a driver.
Contact us for special rates on rental periods of 1 Week (7 Days) or more.
Diplomat Armored Rentals is a Service Disabled Veteran Owned Business. (SDVOB)
Contact Us Today at: US (+1) 619-306-8468 or
Private Sector Contact:
Government/International Org Contact:
firstname.lastname@example.org – We’ll confirm receipt. Then call us to be assigned decryption key.
For more information on Diplomat Armored Rentals.
View our website at:
View our Youtube Channel at:
View our blog at:
View our Flickr Page at: